We wanted to include some of our residents’ families in our Valentine’s celebrations this year at Abbotsleigh Care Home.
So to mark the day, we arranged some special doorstep deliveries of Devon Cream Tea Hampers to our residents with husbands or wives who could not be with us as usual because of COVID restrictions, to let them know that we are all thinking of them and how special they are.
Our Family Liaison Officer Kevan kindly made seven socially distanced deliveries in total, commenting;
“They were so pleasantly surprised; everyone was wonderful with me, thanking us and smiling. Jackie certainly had tears in her eyes.”
One recipient messaged to say, “It was a very lovely surprise and l did enjoy the cream tea, thank you for that!”
We were all feeling the love on Sunday and we are so delighted to have shared the day with our families in the local community.
We also held lovely one-to-one reminiscence chats and asked our residents about their special Valentine’s memories;
- Joyce said she met her Eddie at Holy Communion at midnight Mass and she always received chocolates and flowers regularly.
- Collin said he always bought Molly flowers, and Valentine’s and Birthdays were always their favourite time.
- Alf said “We were always happy on the farm – we loved our music, all kinds of music!”
- Mary said she always received cards and flowers from her husband.
- Betty said she met her husband on a bus and he always gave her a card and flowers.
- Jeremy every year gave his wife flowers and chocolates, and they loved Elvis Presley.
- Ann said she was very happily married and her husband Brian “Always spoiled me with flowers and chocolates.“
To round off the day, we celebrated our lovely residents by placing their photos in our ‘Heart of Love’ display and enjoyed a wonderful selection of beautiful cakes.
What a special day for everyone.